100 % QUEBEC RECIPE
Italian style stuffed pasta shells
Be original and smart using La Fernandière’s vegetable meatloaf to make great pasta! This option is ideal for a weekday meal that will stand out from the routine. For a more elaborate version, choose a nice local cheese and add some wild mushrooms. This recipe may become your new Saturday night classic!
- 20 giant pasta shells, cooked and cooled
- 2 ¼ cups tomato sauce (homemade or from the store)
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 La Fernandière’s vegetable meatloaf (600g)
- ½ cup Italian mix breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Pour about ¼ cup of tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Mix all the ingredients of the filling in a large bowl. Divide into 20 equal portions.
- Stuff the shells and place them in the dish. Cover with remaining sauce, then sprinkle with grated mozzarella and parmesan (to taste).
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 60 minutes. Uncover and set the oven to broil. Place dish back in the over to brown, if desired.
"De luxe" version
At step # 2
If you are using marinara tomato sauce from the store, you can sauté 1 chopped onion and 1 garlic clove in a cauldron. Pour in the sauce and add fresh basil leaves and 3 tbsp chopped dried tomatoes (in oil, drained). Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. Spread 1/4 cup of the sauce in the baking dish.
At step # 3
Add 1 cup of ricotta and 1 cup of cooked spinach to your filling.