Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Portion: 6 (can be frozen)
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 6 large yellow onions, halved and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon grounded dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon grounded bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salty herbs
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups old cheddar
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the peeled and thinly sliced onions. Cook until they are golden brown. Stir wine, beef broths, thyme, bay leaf, and salty herbs.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 hour. Season with pepper.
- Top each bowl with 1 or 2 baguette slices (do not overlap slices) and sprinkle evenly with old cheddar. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly around edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.